Before charging a client for worked hours related to a project, make sure of the two following points in the project settings after clicking on More options:
1. In the Info tab, the project’s status is either “In progress” or “Completed”.
2. In the Settings tab, an invoice method is selected. For a reminder of each invoice method’s meaning, you can consult the article How to set an invoice method for a project.
How to invoice a client for work done within a project?
You can generate an invoice from 2 different ways:
1. From the Grid view
From the project grid, click on the options menu and select Invoice project.
2. From the list view
Select your project in the list and click on the options menu and select Invoice project.
The Invoice project selection screen will pop-up as the next step before creating the invoice. In this screen, you will need to specify what you want to see included on the invoice depending on the invoice method initially selected.
(1) Invoicing date range: If you wish, set a specific start and end date to only invoice worked hours and expenses included in that time range. If you would like to set a more precise period, you can select the Custom range option and define the start and end dates for invoicing the project.
(2) Include time entries: Do you wish to include worked hours on the invoice?
(3) Include expenses: Do you wish to include expenses on the invoice?
(4) Invoice description display mode: If you did not set the invoice method as "Project fixed-fee", choose from one of the following invoice options:
All time entries will be merged into one single detail line on the invoice, by project.
*When the invoice method is set to "Project fixed-fee", a single line per project will display with the remaining billable amount.
Time entries are grouped based on the selected invoice method, and by project. For example, if you have selected the "Service rate" invoice method, the entries will be grouped by project, by service.
Each time entry displays as a single detail line on the invoice.